Really we have been having a pretty fantastic summer around the Reece household. We have had our fair share of adventures (and thankfully for me they do not all have to do with running). We have certainly reached an age with our kiddos where we can just get out and go. There are no diapers, and naps, for the part can be skipped. Don't get me wrong, Embrie still turns into some angry, inconsolable wildebeest if she doesn't get a nap and is not to bed early, but for the most part, times - they are a changing!
With that said, we had our most successful family fish-flpat to date. By successful I mean the most traumatic event was Embrie getting the biggest fat lip ever given to one of our kiddos, and yes, there was blood. (Don't worry the fat lip wasn't intentional). OTHERWISE, everything went stellar. The kids were happy, fish were caught, the sun was out, and a good time was had by all (mostly).
Hyat is quickly turning into some sort of fish whisperer. I am just going to say he got his dad's talents and abilities in this area. I will do my darndest to fish with the best of them, but Hyat, he is one with the fish. He is casting, catching, netting and holding fish in a way I only dream of. Okay, it might not be that extreme, but for a 4 year old, he is a rock star. Embrie is also taking to fishing and now, like her brother, finds great joy in reeling them in. The casting part still has work to do...
The second most traumatic event of our day when Embrie cast her Dora-the-Explorer rod and sent the whole rod into the water. Thankfully it floated for a solid 5 minutes, so it could be fished out of the water. I was at the oars and it took me longer than was appropriate to maneuver the boat in such a manner that Buck could lean over and grab the rod. Don't worry my children were calm and collected during this endeavor.
I blame my inability to maneuver the boat appropriately on the fact that both Embrie and Hyat were screaming and reaching a level of fanatic that one would have expected to see if someone was actually drowning - that is someone besides Dora's picture on the rod. Needless to say, the rod was saved, the tears and snot were wiped away and we managed to continue to enjoy our day.
These pictures will show you why it is appropriate to refer to Hyat as the fish whisperer. If I had pictures of Hyat casting and reeling, it would really complete the set, but we will work with what we have. Hyat spent is day, casting and catching. If he wasn't casting and catching, then he was netting and holding the caught fish for pictures. And he did it all like an absolute pro. I am not kidding, I am sure there are fishing guides out there that could learn a thing or two from this kid. You see, the thing is that I have fished for years, and one thing I continually struggle with is holding a fish properly for a picture. I don't know what it is, but each time I managed to get ahold of the dang thing, my stubby fingers are at the forefront doing the fish itself complete injustice. In complete disclosure, Buck and I really do not fight exchange words often, but one time we do without fail is when I have to hold a fish for a picture.... He tells me I am not doing it right, and I tell him I am doing it the best I can and he couldn't understand because his hands aren't as small as mine. Then Hyat holds the fish like a pro and my argument no longer holds water. So in the end, I know, I am not doing it right. Really when Hyat holds a fish it is like magic. He just reaches in to grab it and the fish rolls over and practically crawls into his hands. Then as he poses for the camera, the fish just waits for him, no squirming or other dramatics that they throw my way... Such is life with a fish whisperer (or two) on board.
And,. the pictures...
 |
| Embrie scouting for fish.... |
 |
| Embrie checking out Hyat's catch! |
 |
| Buck being awesome in the sunlight... |
 |
| Embrie helping Hyat! |
 |
Hyat the fish whisperer in action...
Embrie has finally decided she will touch a fish, but still will not hold it. |
 |
| I am telling you fish whisperer....And a really handsome boy! |
 |
| Me and my best catch of the day... Do not tell me I am not doing it right! As you can clearly see based on my pleased smile, Buck and I were just discussing how in fact I am doing it just right! |
 |
| Love this boy... even if he is better at handling trout than me... |
 |
| Hyat ready with the net! He was netting like a pro! |
 |
| Embrie reeling one in! |
 |
| So glad this little pumpkin is getting excited about fishing! |
 |
| Step one: Whisper to fish. |
 |
| Step Two: Fish rolls into the fish whisperer's hands. |
 |
| Step Three: Show off how much more awesome than your mom you are. |
 |
| Step Four: Keep being awesome. |
 |
| Step Five: Return fish so it can be set free. |
 |
| Love this girl. Even if I gave you a fat lip! |
I suppose I should probably return to the fat lip. At one point, Embrie wanted from the front of the boat to the back of the boat. I was going to boost her to Buck, in the rowers seat, so he could put her in the back. However, for some reason I thought she need a little momentum to get to Buck, so I gave her a little toss. Well, Buck was really closer than I realized, so, basically I managed to get set her up for a face plant into Buck's shoulder. When she lifted her head from the impact, there was already blood. Whoops! Before long her lip was ginormous. I felt bad every single time I looked at her.
Really, including the fat lip, the almost drowning Dora, and my fish holding awesomeness, it was an absolutely fantastic day. I love being so blessed to make these incredible memories with my family, fat lip and all. And, don't get me wrong, I am really thankful that Hyat got all his fish-whisperness from Buck and I hope Embrie does too. There is something really special about doing things you love with your kids!
No comments:
Post a Comment