You turned 14 months - three days ago! This month, like most of the others, has been a complete whirlwind. You have mastered walking and have moved on to perfecting your climbing skills including the stairs and basically anything that you can wiggle your way onto - literally. You are also working on the baby-run in which you get your little legs and feet going as fast as you can which results in a toddler-waddle. Usually you are following your brother, but occasionally you just get a burr in your saddle and are on the move. The problem is that you will motor off and then there will be silence. Often we send Hyat to do some recon and get a report that you are halfway up the stairs or unrolling all of the toilet paper or perhaps dumping out my purse. Whatever it is - you are great at entertaining yourself, only you can't seem to stay out of trouble when left to your own devices. Other times, that is when we don't hunt you down soon enough, we will eventually hear some howling. . . Rarely does it mean you are hurt, but rather, it is usually an indication that you are trying to do something and have hit a certain level of frustration. Perhaps you are troubled because despite climbing up on Hyat's pee stool, you have been unable to actually get into the toilet for a swim. Suffice it to say that your coordination is coming along just fine.

Though you are rambunctious, you are definitely our sweet little girl. You are quick to smile and truly enjoy laughing. There is something about your tooth-filled grin and your dimpled cheek that simply warms my heart. I doubt there is person out there that does not feel something stir inside them when they see your sweet smile. You are not much for cuddling, but we often get a few moments of quiet time first thing in the morning, but it is not long until you begin to squirm your way out of my arms and are ready to play with your brother or motor around. Lucky for me we often end the day the same way we start with a brief moment of calm before bed. I treasure those moments, that I can still hold you and you will snuggle into my chest and we can simply exist together.
You are developing an entirely new relationship with Hyat. You still love him dearly and he brings you much joy, but you are also starting to hold your own. This means that he can no longer simply take whatever you have with a simple swap. No, now you have an opinion and you certainly let us know. You also let us know when he has what you want... Well, you usually let us know what he has that you tried to grab and he won't give to you. We are working on the concept of sharing and not a day goes by that your dad or don't at some point remind you two that if you can't share a toy we will take it away and no one will play with it. Despite the learning curve for sharing, you and Hyat are truly starting to play together. Recently you have started wrestling with your brother - you are often shrieking with sheer delight as you tackle and roll around with him. I desperately try to let the two of you have your fun and you certainly do, but eventually I have to tame Hyat because there is point when I know his next move is going to be to body slam you or complete some full body tackle that you are not quite ready for. But regardless, when Hyat wants to he can bring out beautiful smiles and full body giggles.
Your language is developing and this is one thing we are so thankful for. You have an opinion about what you want and pointing and reaching and squawking is only so effective in communicating. You have mastered "mama, dada, hi, bye and up" and are working on a number of "B" words like ball, Boat, and Bella. Don't worry you are still affectionately referred to as Squeaks and it still suites you! You have started playing peek-a-boo where you hide behind your hands and when prompted with "Where's Embrie!" You will reveal your sweet dimpled cheek as you giggle and grin ear to ear. You have also started to wave "hi" and "bye" and to know a few body parts. It is such an amazing stage and the number of things that you learn so quickly is really amazing.
You had your fourth ear infection this month. Again, we didn't know there was anything ailing you until we reached the level of severe ear infection and I was up with you every 20 minutes for an entire night. The only comfort the doctor had for me was that you had a high pain threshold - the positive in that is that it will serve you well when it is time to birth your own children. The doctor also started a discussion with us about the possibility of placing tubes in yours ears. I know in the whole scheme of things this is a very minor issue, but I know I will be terrified if we have to make that decision. There is no part of me that will be comfortable with you needing surgery and all that goes with it. Though I am smart enough to know to count my blessing, if our most significant medical issue is a potential need to put tubes in your ears. I have only one request... could you please just take your medicine? They do everything they can to make it taste okay, but you refuse to take it which results in some serious battles - far too many of which I ended up covered in antibiotic after you held your breathe for 5 minutes and still managed to spit it out on me. I completely blame your father for this - he too is incapable of taking liquid medicines.
Embrie you bring such joy to our hearts - it may be your laugh that is filled with unrestrained happiness, or the way your face lights up and you come running your toddler-waddle to our arms when we get home or pick you up from school, or the way you will snuggle into my neck for brief moments as I hold you after a long day. Your dad often tells me I hold you too much or simply dote on you in excess. He may be right - he probably is, but I just want to hold onto these moments, the time that you are small and you fit you on my hip and I can hold you close and still smell the baby in your hair. I know that it will happen so quickly, that in no time at all you will be telling me about your day in complete sentences and cracking your own jokes. There is a chance you will be my last baby, so I am going to hold onto that and pray that in the end a little extra holding and doting doesn't do too much long term damage. And if does, well, you will know where to send your shrink's bill.
Your dad was recently gone for a over a week. Technically his return to our family occurred during month 15, but I am going to share that reunion with you now. The night he got home I had just put you to bed and knew you were still awake, so he went in to see you and tell you goodnight. I know how important father's are in a little girl's life, but I suppose that since you couldn't tell me you missed him or talk about where he was with me, I forgot that his absence had an impact on you. But that night when he went in to see, you made it very clear that he had been missed. Your squeals of joy and smile wider than normal with a dimple radiating love and happiness made it quite clear. After he picked you up you alternated gazing into his eyes and grinning while petting his beard (something new to you as he only sports a beard after a good week plus hunting) with snuggling into his chest and breathing a sigh of relief. You certainly let us know that you love your daddy and that all was finally right with world because he was home.
Embrie, you have brought so much to this family in a way that only a tantrum throwing, dimple smiled, good hearted, belly laughing, baby girl could. I know that each and every month of your life we are going to learn new things, face new challenges, experience new joys, endure hardships and seek challenges. But we will get to do these things together - for now it may be learning to talk and laughing while we play peek-a-boo, but this relationship we build will let us grow together for many years to come and I am looking forward to each and every day with you.

Much love,
Your Mama

No comments:
Post a Comment