I am on my second monthly letter to you and I am two weeks late. I try not to be one for excuses, but all I can say is that life has been crazy busy and most nights I am sliding into bed exhausted and just haven't found the inspiration to write. Not that you are not an inspiration, but rather you are such an amazing inspiration that I want to do you justice in the words I share with you. So, I am two weeks late, but the good news is I won't have much to keep track of for your next letter.

The last month has been busy, but just in the way that living with a one-year old and two-year, having a job and living life are. You have continued to grow and learn and amaze. Recently, you have really started to pretend play. It is amazing sometimes I can just stop and observe you quietly playing in your own little world. It is nice because it shows some of your own independence and that you are not quite so dependant on your dad and I for entertainment. You also love to have us play with you, but when we do, you spend a lot of time telling us what to do or what to build or how to do this or that. It keeps us on our toes. Sometimes we have to throw it all out of the window and just tackle you or tickle you until it hurts. I guess this our way to keep you from getting too bossy and forgetting who really is in charge.
You still love being outside.... It is your preferred place rain or shine. It makes me a little nervous as fall is approaching and cooler temps are knocking at the door. I really enjoy just opening the back door and turning you loose, and that is going to be harder with 3 feet of snow on the ground. But maybe I am wrong and we will just bundle you up and send you out. You have loved fishing with us throughout the summer and have probably already caught more trout that most. We love having you along, thank you for wanting to spend time with us. I know it might not always be that way.
You have reached a point that every kids does and have started to say owie! when you want something to stop (your dad tickling you) and it doesn't really hurt. It is an interesting phenomenon, but we are working on using your words in an intense situation and not saying owie when it doesn't hurt. But sometimes I feel bad when you are gasping for air between laughs and trying to get out, "daddy, please stop doing that!" Rather than just shouting, "owie!" I would actually feel bad, except as soon he stops, you dive right back in for more.
You love the garden. You love helping in the garden and the majority of the vegetables you eat in the summer months come straight from the garden. I know, they do taste so much better! You have eaten your weight in peas, green beans and carrots. We have not had the best garden weather this summer and are still waiting for our tomatoes to turn read (and it is the middle of September - not a good sign). You have gotten the 3 cherry tomatoes that have been edible so far and every day we are out in the yard you check to see if another one is ready for you to eat. I am so thankful we live in a place that we can share the joy of fresh food with you and that you love and appreciate it. I am not sure that drinking kiddie pool water really compliments a summer carrot straight from the garden, but it could certainly be worse.
Your language is continuing to develop and you often amaze us with things that you pick up every day. You have recently come to love the term "silly goose." You use it with an an amazing amount of savvy and accuracy. I think you love it so much because you get a wonderful reaction each time. You have also discovered the funny world of farts. I am not sure if this is a boy a thing or if Embrie will have this stage too. But you have taken to announcing each and every toot and seeing if we laugh. Which, I am sure, we do too often. Driving in the car not long ago:
Hyat: "Mom, I farted."
Me: "Is is it stinky?"
Hyat: "Ya!" [giggling]
Hyat: "Mom, open the window and let my fart out!"
You will announce wonderful things like, I just farted on your bed! You think you are pretty hilarious, and, well, you are. So the encouragement for potty talk continues.
Sweet boy, we love you something fierce. I know it hard for you to understand why we have to get on your case about certain behaviors (whining, not being polite, etc), but is a part of our job in order to raise you be a kind, strong, respectful man. Please know that we are doing the best job that we can - that we will make mistakes, but we will learn together. The only comfort I have in you getting older is knowing that our relationship is growing each and every day.
Hyat, thank you for being mine. I could ask for nothing more in a little boy.
Love,
Mama




1 comment:
Fresh vegies - yyyuuummm!
Pool water - YYYUUUCCCKKK!!!
Post a Comment