Dear Hyat,
My sweet boy, you turned 5 years old this fall. This is a milestone, though you do not know
it now. This will be the year that you
start kindergarten, the year that the world will label you a child and no
longer my baby... Really, it has been a
long time since you have had any “baby” left in you. You have grown into this
long and lean boy. I can still hold you
– cuddle you, but just barely. Not long
ago, you and your sister fell asleep in the car, as I opted to carry you up to
bed, your dad asked if he should take you from me. I told him no… I realize that is not long
before you will be too big for me carry and wanted to cherish that moment of
carrying my sleeping boy. There are more moments than I would like to admit
that I look upon you and see the man you will become; rather than, the toddler
or the little child, or the baby you have been.
You have a very tender heart. I continually pray that you
maintain this quality as you mature.
Never see your caring and compassion as a weakness. Always know its
bounds and its purpose. Your heart does
not want to see others hurt or angry.
You often give up a toy or split a cookie to console your sister. I may
have to ask you to do something multiple times, but the moment you sense anger
or frustration in my voice you are all business. Hyat, your concern for your family and your
friends, your desire for our happiness, your care for a stranger that appears
to be having a hard – this is admirable. Hold on to it. It is with great
hesitation is say this - for I fear tarnishing your kindness; however; there
are so many moments I see you so close to sacrificing yourself for another’s
happiness… You must know; there is a balance.
You can be tender, kind and compassionate - you should be. Love others. But, you must
always maintain your own integrity.
Have no fear; you are not all sugar and no spice. You are a rambunctious little boy filled with
a love of life and an infectious smile.
You love to laugh and will often entice your dad into playing chase or
tickling you. You can be timid, but
within your comfort zone you are a whirlwind – jumping, diving, racing,
spinning. You love to rough house and
wrestle and this is a constant reminder to me that you are growing up. You are strong and seem to get stronger every
day and there are times I have to relegate the rough housing to your dad for
fear of my own well being. Dive in, Hyat. Have fun. Love life.
You have a temper and it manifests itself in frustration, and
it’s usually directed at yourself. You are a perfectionist like I am and you
become easily annoyed if your handwriting, or crafting, or skiing, or ________
isn’t award-winning. And with your frustration, all of the walls come tumbling
down - you have a very hard time chilling
out. I suppose it’s the classic cycle of life: our kids do to us what we did to
our parents. Hyat, please learn this lesson: IT DOES NOT HAVE TO PERFECT TO BE
BEAUTIFUL. I will not lie; this is a lesson that I have to repeat to myself
everyday as I struggle with pride and perfectionism. Hyat, you will do wonderful things and they
will not always be perfect, but they will be yours and they will beautiful.
I pray one day your sister will know how blessed she is to
have you. You love her more than I knew
possible. You are consistently by her
side, not just as her playmate, but has her friend and as her protector. I am not sure she understands your love and
your kindness yet, but in time, she will know of the blessing you are in her
life. Thank you for being who you are, Hyat. Thank you for being the best
brother Embrie could ask for. Thank you for caring so deeply for her well
being. Oh, trust me, you fight…you are
siblings after all. And, occasionally, you even ask me to have her leave you
alone, so that you may play with her making messes or interrupting. But by and large, she is your constant
companion and you are her guide.
You have reached a new phase with your dad. Though you have
been on hunting excursions with him before, you went on your first true hunting
outing with your dad. You spent a
morning in the tree stand with him and loved every long, quiet minute of it.
However, the way he tells it, I think he loved it more. He just knows better, he knows it was the
first of many wonderful times together, so not only was it sitting in the tree
stand with you that day, it was the beginning of something much bigger. Though
you boys did not see or shoot any deer that day, you did have a close encounter
with an owl landing in your tree. It was just enough to make the experience a
thrill and for that we thankful. I am thankful you pursue and desire to spend time with your dad doing something you
both love. I pray you will both continue to pursue a relationship with one another for the entirety of your lives together. He is an amazing man and has so much to offer to you, not just now while you are child, but always.
You love, shooting your bow, legos, ninjas, your sister, fishing
and hunting with you dad. You are at such an
amazing stage of life. You are consistently mastering new skills and amazing us
with your talents. Dear boy, keep pursuing new things and never fear learning.
Take on new challenges and brace the unknown. You are amazing, wonderful,
smart, intelligent, wild, loving, and kind. And we are lucky… Lucky to be blessed
with you.
I love you.
Love,
Mama

.jpg)

1 comment:
Beautiful, JR.
Post a Comment