For anyone that knows Hyat, he is inquisitive and quite the little critical thinker. When things don't add up, he catches on... and asks questions (a lot of questions). As Easter was approaching this year, Hyat began to ask about the Easter Bunny. Who is the Easter Bunny? Where does the Easter Bunny live? Is the Easter Bunny coming? Where does the Easter Bunny get the baskets? How does he carry all those baskets? Does he have helpers? And, does the Easter lay eggs? Then, where does he get the eggs? You get the idea... I don't really know the back story on the Easter Bunny, so I would randomly answer these questions, but my glossing over the details would generally just create more questions. This went on for a few days and ended the night before Easter. At that point, Hyat asked me:
Is the Easter Bunny real? It was quite apparent at this point that Hyat was looking for confirmation of an answer he already knew. No, the Easter Bunny is not real. The only problem is that he asked in front of his sister... Now, I have no real worry about my kiddos knowing that Easter Bunny is not real. In fact, there are A LOT of conversation around our house that Easter is, in fact, NOT about the Easter Bunny. But in that moment, I saw no reason to out the Easter Bunny a few short hours before his anticipated arrival.
It got me thinking, I actually distinctly remember discovering the Easter Bunny was, (
gasp) my parents. Cindy and I had apparently gotten up a wee bit early and headed to the back door where our Easter baskets would be waiting for us. Our baskets were indeed waiting for us, but standing at the back door I also discovered my parents hiding eggs. In shock, I asked my sister what was happening, and she told me that sometimes the Easter Bunny ran out of time and little kids parents had to help. Though I appreciated the gentleness of her response, I also simply knew that the Easter Bunny was not real. There was no devastation, just a little growing up. Now Cindy's revealing that Santa Claus was not real, was not gentle, but I will save that story for now...
So needless to say, I am fairly certain that Hyat knows the Easter Bunny is not real. I mean let's be honest, despite my claims of being ninja-mom, I shopped for most of their Easter baskets with both kids with me and I am pretty sure that Hyat saw more than one thing in my cart at Target before seeing it again in his Easter basket. Just a little growing up...
Anyway, our Easter followed the normal pattern, Easter Egg Hunt put on by our Church (60,000 eggs is a lot of eggs), Church, a visit from my sister, Easter baskets and lot's of Easter egg hunts in Grandpa and Grandma's backyard. This year
we agreed Buck decided that we would not buy the kids any candy... I had a hard time imagining an Easter basket without a chocolate bunny, but he was totally right. Between Easter egg hunts at school, the church egg hunt, and the wherever else the candy came from we ended up with plenty of candy. As a matter of fact, it is May and we STILL have candy!
The few pictures I took during Easter weekend... I am sad to report, I do not think I got a picture of Hyat and Embrie in their Easter best! Also, I do not seem to have a picture of my sister from her visit. Whoops - I guess there was too much fun being had to stop for pictures!
No comments:
Post a Comment