Wednesday, June 16, 2010

What Jeni is up to...

I have been working on something lately... And now I am publicly (or semi-publicly with the 20 or so people that read this blog) committing to doing this!

I am going to be doing my first triathlon! I chose this one because it includes a mountain bike portion (rather than road bike). It will be great too because it is up at Hyalite Reservoir which is a beautiful venue. And the course is nice in that you pass through the same area periodically, so my loyal, supporting family will be able to cheer me on multiple times!

I am excited and terribly nervous at the same time. Mostly, I am terrified of the swim... But, I have been swimming a couple of times a week and am actually confident that I can finish the swim. I might be the last one out of the lake - so now I am trying to convince myself that is ok. It is something new and different and challenging. It has been fun to have something to train for and work for - it keeps me motivated. And, I have to be motivated to get out the door by 5:30 every morning to swim, run or bike. I haven't biked much yet because the weather has been less than cooperative, but I still have a little time left. I am also super thankful that Buck has been supportive of this endeavor... though I do most of my "training" while my family is still sleeping, on the days I don't get out of bed in the morning he does everything he can to help me fit a workout in at the end of the day. He also bought me a wetsuit, so I don't freeze to death in the lake! (Literally, 2 years ago the lake was 57 degrees for the tri)! Isn't he the best?!?!

Well, we will see how it goes. Race day is July 25, 2010. (Yikes, 38 days!)

3 comments:

Aunt Clara said...

I will be cheering you on from Ok. I am sure you will be GREAT! This is EXCITING!

Whitney said...

That's great, Jeni! Of course it is okay if you are the last one out of the lake! You are challenging yourself to do something new and very difficult! Inspiring! Keep us posted and have a wonderful trip to Colorado!

Kelly said...

That is so exciting! I am so proud of you! That's ok if you're last out of the lake. I have really been wanting to do a tri, but I absolutely cannot get past the swim, so you are way ahead of me! I've heard the wet suits help you float a little too. That is so cool. Good luck! I can't wait to hear about it! YOu'll rock on the bike and run. So fun!