Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Hockey Star

In addition to skiing, we have also recently attempted to teach Hyat to ice skate.  Hyat was a little disappointed with our first endeavor - he really thought he would just lace up his skates and go play hockey like the big boys! One morning we got organized and out the door to skate on one of Bozeman's ice rinks.  Now both Buck and I capable ice skaters, but not much more.  I suppose you could say we really had no business trying to teach Hyat to ice skate, but nonetheless, we were determined to try.  We gave if out best shot and eventually a very kind man had pity on us and gently told us the way he taught his kids was to have them push a chair across the ice and to walk like a duck.  The thing I love about Bozeman is that he not only gently offered us the advice, but also took the time to go across the street to his house to grab a chair for us to borrow.  We made some progress from there and I even made up some catchy songs to remind Hyat to go on ice skates he need to walk like a duck.  I am not sure they are very effective because he usually just laughs at me!  Embrie went along with us and was trooper hanging out on the ice.  She actually loved getting pushed around on the ice and she did a really good job of looking cute!

After our first attempt, Buck and my dad took Hyat skating one day when I was stuck going to work.  Buck had bought a chair of our own and from what I hear Hyat made some more progress.  I won't report how many times my dad fell down, but it was more than once!

Geting started...

Hyat discovering he is not so sure about how
this ice skating thing works

The chair makinr things a lot easier (for all of us)!

Embrie hanging out on the ice while I take pictures...

After getting frustrated on the ice because she couldn't walk around,
Embrie and I went over to the park to play.

Still going!


Trying out our chair.
(I think this was after Grandpa had
fallen out of it)

The day with dad and grandpa... our chair wasn't stable enough,
so back to square one.

No comments: