Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Smith River!

I just made a list, in chronological order, of all of the Reece Family events that need to be posted... The first item on the list happened in February and I am still tracking pictures down for that. It was big one, so pictures are totally necessary... So I am overcoming my Type-A tendancies and blogging out of order, which, for me, is a pretty big deal! Anyway, on to the good stuff. . .

Buck and I recently (that is a relative term) had the privilege of floating the Smith River.  I say privilege because the Smith is a permit only river and we didn't get the permit. We had recently hired a new associate, Abby... I will just say that we not only hire people on their merits (she is a smart one), but also on our desire to work with them (she is beyond awesome). We spend a lot of time together at work.  We often give ourselves a pat on the back for hiring Abby - she quickly transitioned from colleague to friend.  And, the really good news is Buck gets along great with her hubby (maybe a little too great). Anyway, Abby and Collin secured a permit for the Smith and over drinks one night Buck and I invited ourselves along. I mean really Abby couldn't say no; I am her "boss!"

The last weekend of April we were off to float.  My kids were going to be well cared for by my mom and our friends Karley and Weston. (Thanks again guys)! We headed out on Tuesday for a 5 day 4 night float.  Every single person I know that has floated the Smith has endured less than ideal weather conditions.  The first time Buck went ( I was super pregnant with Embrie and opted to stay home) it snowed almost the entire time.... and, he went in June! We had a great forecast for sunny skies, but we weren't holding our breath. 

We had a really great time, but I will say the first 2 days of our trip were not stellar.  As a matter of fact, they were a true test of our marriage - and I say that literally.  We knew the river flows were low, but didn't quite appreciate how low.  So with all of our gear and how our raft is designed, we did our fair share of pushing, pulling, dragging the boat the first 15 miles.  We didn't curse each other too much either!  Flows came up as creeks flowed in, and before long we were good to go.  It was relief because 60 miles of push, pull, drag would have been unbearable and that is when the fishing began.  We had really great conditions for fishing, and we had a blast and a lot fish came to the boats.

I rowed my fair share during the trip and with low flows and more technical river I think both Buck and I would agree that my oarsmanship increased a thousand fold. We had a lot of fun and truly enjoyed getting to know Abby and Collin better.  I certainly missed our kiddos (there isn't any cell service), but knew they were well taken care of. We had classic moments including Collin falling out of the boat (he may or may not  have been drinking...) and being attacked by a cave goose (again it was Collin... and there was screaming).  The trip ended with over 24 hours straight of rain.  It made for a great fishing, but meant that we packed up some wet gear on our last morning.  I am thankful it was the last night and we didn't have to deal with wet, muddy gear the whole time.  The sun even came out on the last day, and that helped a ton!

It is a really fun float, and it absolutely beautiful.  For most of these pictures credit goes to Collin (so if they look like your average snapshot, they're mine...if they look all fancy and professional then credit goes to Collin) Thanks again guys!
Heading out of town...
Trying to not get stuck!
Love this guy!
Breakfast cooking..
SUNSHINE! We had more sun than not!
Fresh spring water!
Fish!
The view ain't bad!

Collin and Abby... probably relaxing while they were waiting for us...
Their boat was afloat a little more those first few miles!

My first fish on a streamer! Booyah!

There was snow... It wasn't all sunshine...
Fireball! Like I said, there was snow - we needed to stay warm...
This is one way to ride when you are getting in and out of the boat... a lot. 
More fish!
Some of them had to be small!




Abby + fish = AWESOME!



Boom!

Yup, the fishing was a-okay!
Camp set-up while we enjoyed the rain...






Taking out... Great trip ready to head home!

Boys will be boys... sporting Promont gear...
Clearly, we had a good time!

No comments: