Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Run, run, run as fast as you can...Or just run, run and run some more!

As many of you know, I ran a lot this summer.  It all started when I decided to the Bridger Ridge Run. They refer to it as the most technical and most rugged race in existence.  I certainly do not believe that, but I will vouch for the fact that it is one tough run! I posted about the run this summer: Another Case of Crazy Cakes!

Over the summer I did three major races: Old Gabe (25k or 15.5 miles), The Bangtail Divide (38k or 24.5 miles) and the Ridge Run (19.65 miles).  Then to add to the fun, we did the Bozemonster Challenge and I helped organize the Scramble for Ethiopia.  

The majority of it was all trail running, so I spend A LOT of time in the hills.  I can easily say I likely ran more this summer than I have in the past 5 years!  I used to swear I would never be a "runner."  I am not there yet, but I just might be turning a corner.  I am starting to get used to this running gig. 

The best part of this post is likely at the end... That is when kids appear!!!

TRAINING RUNS: There were a lot and occasionally took pictures.
The Ridge
At the top of Bridger
Lilla - my partner in crime!
Our buddy that joined us on one of our training runs!
He doesn't mind getting up early either.
The Ridge
We saw a lot of SUNRISES!
FIRST RACE: OLD GABE - We had decided to do Old Gabe as a training race, since neither of us had ever done any real trail races.  It was a lot of fun... We ran up hill, through the snow, in the mud and through the creek (multiple times).  We were tired, muddy, bloody and wet when we got done.  And we did not take a single picture!

SECOND RACE: BANGTAIL DIVIDE - I have never been in good enough shape in my life to sign up for race on Wednesday and run on Saturday.  Much less 24.5 miles. Randomly we found out about this race on Wednesday before it was going to happen.  Somehow, I decided it would be a good idea to run farther than we had to in the Ridge Run before the Ridge Run.  This makes little sense I know.  Basically because the Ridge is such steep technical terrain  I had the idea that if we knew we could run further, it would help.  Regardless, we signed up.  And at the start it became apparent we were out of our league. There was (maybe) 30 runners and while hanging out at the start, we quickly learned they were all veteran Ridge Runners and generally accomplished trail runners.  Then we took off and that was that... We finished! 
At the start realizing we are in over our heads.
It was a fun run and one I want to do next year... Who is in?
I finished. And, was immediately offered a beer!
Lilla Finishes!!!

FINAL RACE (sorta) - THE RIDGE RUN - The run that started all this madness! Buck drove us to the start and it was really great to have him around.  He was a good sport and put up with my nerves and needing to pee 52 times before the start. We had run the course (in parts), but somehow race day was really intense.  They start you in waves so we had to watch 4 waves take off ahead of us.  Then it was our turn and the rest is history.  It was great and it sucked all in one. There were good moments and tough moments.  I hope to write a better description of the race before it slips my mind, but for this post... WE DID IT! And we finished under our goal time!!
Pre-Ridge Run Start
Ridge Run FINISHED! Goal complete!
THE FINAL, FINAL RACE: BOZEMONSTER CHALLENGE - To compensate for how serious our running had been all summer, we decided to something a little different.  So we opted for the Bozemonster Challenge. It was only a 5k and had various obstacles including water and mud!  We decided Wonder Woman (wearing a tutu) made perfect sense for such a run, and  tradition has likely been born! 

The kids were thrilled because there was also a DINO DASH for them.  They knew I had a costume and wanted one too.  We tie-died some t-shirts (Hyat added his soccer-socks-to-his-thighs for added impact!) and we were off! They had obstacles too.  Unfortunately, it was so crowded it was little tough for the kiddos!
Hyat in the tires.
Embrie getting a little help from mom.  Her legs were just too short!
Hyat made it this far into the mud pit and his shoes came off.
So then he tried it barefoot and was NOT interested in getting muddy!
Embrie didn't want anything to do with the mud!




RACE ORGANIZATION: THE SCRAMBLE FOR ETHIOPIA - This year I got involved with a really great team of people to help organize the Scramble.  It was technically its third year, but it didn't take place last year, so we had some work to do.  It was eye opening to see what all goes into organizing a race.  I have run a far number of races and on some level I would recognize there was a lot of effort behind the race, but now I can say there is A LOT OF WORK!  Regardless, of the work, it was a great endeavor that I believe people throughly enjoyed.  A big shout out to my mom and Enid for volunteering with me! They were super helpful on race day and put up with my craziness that day!  The race was a success, but the best part, hands down, was watching my kiddos race.  Hyat absolutely loved it.  Buck was stuck working (major bummer), so I had both kids.  I told Hyat I needed to stay with Embrie, but he could run ahead. And run ahead he did.  He ran the entire 1/4 mile loop without looking back for me once! Way to go buddy!  Embrie did great, but we ran a loop through a hay field and she fell down about 1/2 way and then was not quite so excited about running fast.  They got medals at the finish which made them very proud!

At the start.. they are hard to see  but they are to right on the starting line.
Hyat is in red shirt and Embrie in purple. 
Hyat at the finish! He is striding it out!
Embrie at the finish - she was excited once she got to the end with all the cheering!
Way to go girl!
So that is it - the Reece family summer running by!  I haven't gotten Buck into the running scene, but I will keep working on it. In the meantime, he does a great job being my support and encouragement!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Face it girl... you are a runner! I couldnt be more proud! Those trail races look so fun. I would love to join you sometime.