Monday, November 5, 2012

Camping... Wise River

 A couple of years ago, the family had been camping on the Big Hole river with good friends from Helena.  On the way home, we took the "long way" and drove the Pioneer Mountains Scenic Byway. It may have taken us a couple of years, but we finally made it back.  I hate to admit we have not hit our family-camping-stride, and the first few trips out seem like a lot of work.  Needless to say, it is totally worth it... Every. Single. Time.

There is something truly special about just being with your family.  And, as a family without t.v., we spend a lot of time together as family. However, getting away from home, obligations, phones, projects, to-do lists, and distractions creates a special kind of magic.  I think that is true no matter who is out with you, but kids increase that magic exponentially.  Now it would be a lie for me to pretend that it doesn't take a little time for me to ease into the camping gig.  As much as I love it, when we start out I still try to maintain a certain order to our lives that is totally unrealistic.  Thankfully, Buck and the kids just grin at me and start in on their shanangins immediately.  (When I first say Hyat and Embrie building "ant hills" in powder fine dirt, within the first 2 minutes of being out of the car, I may have told them not to.... I am happy report there were many "ant hills" built and a lot of clothes to wash before the end of the trip!)

When we first got to camp, we set our spot and then headed out fishing.  This time "fishing" was more of a ecosystem adventure.  Sure, there were plenty of fish caught (by all members of the family), but we also splashed in the river, built dams, caught frogs, threw rocks, caught grasshoppers and just enjoyed being.  After fishing, we headed back to camp and were excited to find that the Paul family had made their way to join us.  From there, we enjoyed all camping has to offer, building ant-hills, Hyat shooting his bow, squirrel hunts, a little more fishing, throwing rocks and playing in the creek, roasting hot dogs, kids becoming hot sticky messes with marshmallows, staying up late, campfires.... you get the idea.

And the pictures to prove it...


Embrie loves to help take care of Hazen... she is his 2nd mama!

Poor kid, but you gotta love it. 
Focused.
Another great shot!
He's just like his mama - sticking his tongue out when he concentrates...
I even took a turn with Hyat's bow...


I think someone was little tired from all the FUN! 
Sunscreen helps the dirt stick...
Just being...
Weston with the kids - hunting squirrels.
Sometimes its nice to be on the outside looking in -
Buck watching the kids "hunt" with Weston.
She loves her brother... Where he goes, she will follow...
Love!
Waiting and watching...
The squirrels were chattering, but they remained elusive.
Good morning, sweet boy!
Good morning, pumkin!
A good morning, indeed!
Hot chocolate!
After camping, we decided to hit up Jackson Hot Springs... It is little adventure for us to go to various hot springs around the state.  There is a benefit to all the geothermal activity up here!  A lot of them are little po-dunk, but still fun.  This was no exception, plus it gave us a good opportunity to wash the initial layer of dirt off before I would have to clean it out of the bottom of the tub!
Picnic lunch after soaking...
And to Jackson Mercantile for an ice cream cone!
Another huge thank you to Weston for toting his camera along and capture memories for us to share! These pictures tell so much of the story, my words never would. 

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Cute kids jeni. Can't believe how theyre growing.