Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Outside + swingset = One happy boy

Do you remember those really amazing, awesome friends that I recently told you about, Austin and Diedra? Well, they totally proved their awesomeness last weekend. Buck and I had discussed buying Hyat (and Embrie) a swingset for the backyard. Once we started shopping around, we were amazed at how very expensive a manufactured swingset was, so we started researching and determining if we (or Buck with my help) could build one. In the end, with a great deal from one of Buck's friends that manages a local hardware store, we bought a kit and our lumber and acessories and determined we would build it ourselves. However, with much kindness and generorisity Austin offered to help. We are REALLY thankful for his help because it made this projet totally manageable and even enjoyable for Buck, rather than being the overwhelming drag it could have been.

Late Friday afternoon Austin came over and he and Buck got to work. That left me in charge of dinner. Now there are about 4 real meals that I am comfortable making... ok, maybe mac & cheese isn't a real meal, but there are tat least 3 meals I am comfortable making - but I digress. So I packed up both kids and went to the store (which is a feat in itself somedays) and bought what I needed to make chicken enchiladas. Unfortunately, I got home and realized I forgot a rather important ingredient - the chicken. So Hyat stayed to "help" the boys and Embrie and I went back after the chicken. I then managed to get home and get the enchiladas in the oven. However, all evening I was battling a headache, which went from bad to worse. Karley and Weston came over a bit later, and next thing I knew Karley was left in charge of Embrie and finishing dinner while I puked my guts out and was in bed by 7 p.m. All I can say is thank goodness for great friends.

I woke up on Saturday feeling fine. Austin and Deidra were over shortly after 8 in the morning. After a yummy breakfast, we (well, the boys) set to work on the swingset. They worked straight through until about 3 p.m. when Austin had to leave. Buck, worked for about another hour. Amazingly they just about got it done. We needed more lumber to finish the ladder and that was it. Or almost it. . . we have to put a weather protectant on it too.

We had been really excited to hang up the swings and put the slide up while Hyat was napping so he could come out and play after his nap. We got the swings up, but when Buck went to put up the slide we realized it was too short - it literally went straight down. We have had fun on the swings already, and our new slide should be here any day!

Here is Buck working away:


Here is Austin reviewing the plans - he not only cut a gazillion boards for us, but he also graciously answered Hyat 27,902 times when he would ask "What are you doing?" (Oh, and spring was in Bozeman that day because Austin also managed to burn the back of neck while cutting and answering "what are you doing?"

Buck finishing the ramp with a little help from Hyat:

Diedra helping Hyat measure the boards:

Hyat pounding:

Hyat supervising/playing/loving time with daddy outside

Embrie was there too, she wasn't a lot of help, but she did a great job of sitting around looking cute. She really enjoyed playing and being outside where all the action was.


The kids enjoying their swings!

The finished product... or close - missing the slide and the ladder:

On Sunday we returned some lumber and Buck built the ladder. We enjoyed a nice weekend and the nice weather. Now we are back to snow and cold, but that is spring in Montana. We are also planning some more additions to the swingset like chalkboard paint and a sandbox...

1 comment:

Jace said...
This comment has been removed by the author.