Last year on my birthday I was able to do a 10k race here in Bozeman (
see here!) Following the 10k, Hyat then enjoyed his first race. Well, I wasn't able to run the 10k this year (dang knee surgery really impacts your summer), but Hyat really wanted to do his race again. Of course, anything that Hyat does, Embrie wants to do! So when Saturday morning rolled around both kids were signed up to race.
With our experience from last year, I had a much better plan which included having my sweet friend Deidra "run" with us so we could keep track of both kids. I was also lucky that my mom and our friend Patti came down and watched the run and staked out a spot in the shade for us to watch the parade that would follow.
It is a learning process - even though it was much better this year! We drove down with my mom which meant we had to walk to the start. Being a 1 kilometer race and my mom was near the end it was a walk! Then we "ran" the race and had to walk back to my mom. So the total distance Hyat walked (since Embrie got a ride most of the time was 2 kilometers!
My sweet friend Deidra met us at the start. I had told her to just head off with Hyat because with my knee surgery and not being released to run, I wasn't sure I could keep up with him. As the race started Hyat headed off with the pack and Embrie was a little overwhelmed by the crowd so I ended up carrying her. As we headed out I realized I could keep up with Hyat if I wasn't carrying Embrie. So we ran/limped/speed walked to catch up with them. Lucky me Deidra was up for packing Embrie, so we all got to stick together.
We saw a few people we knew along the way and when they cheered for Hyat he would tell me they were cheering for him, smile and take off at a dead sprint. Luckily his sprint only lasted about 20 feet, so we could keep up. The fastest he ran was when we went by my mom and across the finish line. By my mom and across the finish line are the only times Embrie "ran."
Here we go!
 |
| Hyat waiting for the start! |
 |
| Embrie waiting for the start! |
 |
| Hitching a ride! (Thanks Deidra!) |
 |
| Hyat RUNNING! |
 |
| Embrie getting a little running in! |
 |
| Wooohooo - FINISHED! Hyat ran almost the entire way! |
 |
| Embrie not quite as excited about her finish... |
 |
| Enjoying cold water after a warm race! |
 |
| Watching the parade that follows the kids run... |
 |
| Firetruck! |
 |
| Hyat's favorite float (Grasshopper Truck) |
 |
| Sweet kids watching the parade and waiting for MORE CANDY! |
 |
| Every parade needs some horses... |
 |
| Look! I really was there... |
 |
| Love this boy! |
 |
| Love this girl and her piggy tails! |
 |
| Thanks Grandma for hanging with us and all your help! |
Here are a couple of videos of the action....
Untitled from
Jenifer Reece on
Vimeo.
Untitled from
Jenifer Reece on
Vimeo.
No comments:
Post a Comment