Thursday, March 7, 2013

Colordo Trip

You all might think I am a little obsessive about posting past events on this space, but one thing I love about this whole blogging gig is that it captures for our kids what we do in life.  I love that I can print these pages out and they get a little more than just pictures, but a few (or sometimes more) of my thoughts on what we were doing and why... So here is an attempt to capture our trip to Colorado for Thanksgiving...

One thing Buck and I have learned is that sometimes you just have to go for it.  Traveling with kids is one of those things. It is easily to be dissuaded by the thought of 14 hour car ride with two kids.  Both Hyat and Embrie are trooper, but that is a lot of windshield time and a lot of time for them to be strapped in.  Regardless, we have A LOT of family in Colorado and a lot of them are not in a position to come visit us.  So we loaded up the car and hit the road.  The trip down was little rough. I don't know why, but I was in a bad mood.  I really regret it, because when you are all in a confined space, my mood has a big impact.  On top of that as we were driving through SLC Embrie started complaining her stomach hurt.  We were at that point in the day it made a lot of sense for her to just take a nap... I was trying to convince her of such when her lunch started coming up.  Oh dear all things holy!  As I was catching puke in my hands, Buck was trying to merge through 4 lanes of traffic and pull over.  It was not one of our finer moments - a tough way to realize that Embrie still gets car sick.  Don't worry, Dramamine was our friend from there on out.

We made it safely to Durango and had a really great time hanging out with our friends Erin & Aaron and their girls Emma and Hannah.  I love visiting Durango, but the longer I am gone the less it feels like home.  We also had a really great visiting with my sister and Jacob.  I failed at picture taking... But here are a few of the kiddos! (I thought I had pictures of this part of the trip, but can't find them now.... So it goes)!

After Durango, we headed up to Grand Junction to visit Buck side of the family.  We made a stop at Orvis Hot Springs on the way up. Buck and I had never been there and we had a really great time.  It is a clothing optional spot, so no pics.  We were curious to see how the kids handled it... there were a few comments from them, but it was early and quiet there so it wasn't a big deal.  We then headed into Montrose and met my sister and Jacob for a visit with my Grandmother.  It was really great to see her and, as always, was hard to leave, since I don't know when we will see her again. The kids really enjoyed visiting her. They get a lot of attention from the other residents and like playing with her ceramic creations!




 We made it to Grand Junction and met up with Stephanie and Raine.  After a short break at their house, we headed out to the fire station to visit Cody at work.  It was fun to tour the fire station and the kids loved playing in and on the ambulances and fire trucks.  We had dinner out there and were blessed with a great time and no calls, so we got to spend a lot of time with Cody that night. It was also really great because the kids had recently had some firemen come to their school and they dressed up in their gear so the kids could see what it was all about.  It freaked Embrie out!  So Cody was nice enough to get in his gear and let Embrie check it out.  I pray that we never have to call the fire department, but it is nice to know that if we should need to they won't scare the life out of Embrie now!







DISCLAIMER:  From this point forward I totally failed in picture taking.... For the remainder of our time in Grand Junction we enjoyed hanging with Cody, Steph and Raine, got to spend time with Summer and enjoyed the Reece family there.  We spent Thanksgiving there too.  Thanksgiving morning we hiked with Stephanie's family and it was really nice to get out and get some fresh air before the eating!  For Thanksgiving dinner we all headed over to Buck's Gma Bunnie and Joe's.  It was so great of them to host us.  We got to see a lot of Buck's family and had a really great time. We spent the rest of our trip visiting family and watching the cousins play. It is so fun to watch Raine, Hyat and Embrie together.  We also got together with Buck's family at Kim and Patti's before leaving. It was a good trip and nice to see so many faces.

Our drive home was long, but better than our drive down.  Embrie had Dramamine which solved that problem and both kids were exhausted.  They fell asleep late in the day and slept for a long time.  I was even considering waking them up, but then we got on bad roads... Really bad roads, so I just let them sleep, so it was quiet and Buck could just drive.  Phew, it was great trip! Until next time...

No comments: