Thursday, May 13, 2010

Hyat's Language

Hyat's language is developing and I am often amazed at the maturity of the language he uses, but he certaily keeps us entertained at the same time. I have recently noticed a development of taking the action that that an object makes and using it plus "er" to rename it.

A rower = oars for the boat (row + er)
A roller = fishing reel (roll (reeling motion) + er)
A toother = a flosser (tooth + er)

I am sure there are more, but those serve as pretty good examples. He is also starting to place events in time; however, anything that has happened in the past was last night or yesterday (though he does occassionally throw in last week) even though it may have occurred months ago. He talks some of the future and that is always tomorrow even if it won't happen until next month.

The other night I had this conversation with Hyat.

H: I like Karley.
J: I like Karley too.
H: I liker her face and her toes.
J: Yes, her face and toes are very nice, but she is too old for you.

Long pause...

H: I saved Weston.
J: What?
H: I saved Weston.
J: You saved Weston?
H: Ya, I saved Weston on the boat. He went like this (re-enacts falling down with sound effects), and tried to fall out of the boat but I saved him.
J: That's right you did save Weston! (Finally catching on to what we are taking about - the visual and sound effects were a big help)

Note: On our last fishing trip Hyat was in the back of the boat with Weston and we hit a rock or a wave and Weston, well, he just about fell out of the boat, but instead landed in the vicinity of Hyat. I am not sure if Weston grabbed Hyat or Hyat grabbed Weston, but it scared Hyat, so we told him that he saved Weston from falling out of the boat. Hyat was so proud of himself he forget that he was scared. I am just glad that he remembers saving Weston and not the being scared part. (That's good parenting, right?)

No comments: