Thursday, July 29, 2010

One Year Old

Dear Embrie Jean,

You have recently turned one year old. It is really hard for me to believe that we have already made it this far. It has been a whirlwind of a year - in part because I have your brother to keep up with too, but mostly because you are fiercely independent and will only do things your way in your time... Anytime I expected something (crawling) you wouldn't do it, but other times it was like I looked away for just a moment and when I turned around you had learned to give kisses. And those kisses melt my heart every time, by the way.

When you were about three months old you went through this phase where you would get crazy upset at night just before bedtime and I would be trying to nurse you and you would just cry and scream... I usually ended up crying too, but eventually you would calm down and so would I and I would have the honor of nursing you and cuddling you and putting you to bed. At the time, I wished that phase away, and now what I would do get a few of those moments with my itty bitty baby back.

We are still waiting for you to walk. I know that we don't need to be too anxious because really no one will worry about your development if don't walk until you are months older. I am not worried about your development either. You can be REALLY DEMANDING! When you want something you want it RIGHT NOW. And if you don't get it right now - the squeaking begins and the squeaking rapidly becomes some rather unpleasant squawking and then the screaming. It is a rapid melt down and has already ended with you throwing your body on the floor. We love you, but sometimes we just have to laugh because I really did not know that a one year was capable of such a tantrum. Right now most of the squeaking, squawking, screaming is a result of either your dad or I not being able to offer you one finger for each hand so you can walk around the house. That is why I want you to walk, because it will give you the independence to move freely and it will give my back a break. And you are so close to walking independently, which you do between your dad and I each night before bed. I think those are some of your favorite moments, grinning and clapping as you walk between us knowing you, at that moment, are the center of our world.


Don't worry all of your dramatic flare is not just when you are upset. You are equally as happy. Actually, you are a very happy little girl and we often get comments about what a wonderful baby you are. And you have been a wonderful baby. You smile so easily and your smile can light a room. Plus, your laugh is infectious and I dare someone to listen to you giggle and for their heart to not soften a little. You get comments everywhere we go - mostly about your beautiful blue eyes. And, yes, Embrie Jean you are beautiful in so many ways.

You have always had to share your dad and I with your brother, that is the curse of being a second child, but I don't think you would have it any other way. You love your brother more than words can describe. In the morning when I get you out of your crib you smile when you see me, but when I bring you to our room where your brother is usually reading stories in our bed, you smile widens and you kick your little pudgy legs trying to get to him faster. Hyat loves you in the way that only a 2 year old boy can - one minute he is tackling you and rolling around on the floor you, and the next he is comforting you and giving you hugs because he made you cry. The two of "play" more together now and you love the attention that you get from him. When you first started laughing Hyat was the one that could really get you going. So when we wanted to hear you laugh we would ask Hyat to make you laugh and he would be silly and laugh in your face and you would start giggling right away.


Embrie, you need to know that your daddy loves you. You have absolutely stolen his heart. He is the one that has nicknamed you Squeaks and it stuck, So, if we are still calling you that when you are 13, he is the one to blame. You love your daddy too. I think it is because he is simply good at being a dad. Often I will be in the other room and I will hear a commotion with much laughter and if I check on you guys I may find your dad dangling you by one leg and blowing zerberts on your tummy. I might think he is crazy, but you think he is magic and you will laugh and grin and giggle and beg for more.

Embrie, with you our family has grown to four, but it has grown so much more as well. You have brought all of the dramatic flare of a little girl. Along with bumps and the drama, you have brought so much light and joy. You are already charting your course through life, and I am so thankful to get come along with you.

Love,
Mama






No comments: