Wednesday, August 11, 2010

What to do when a 2 year old is the smartest one in the house?

About a week ago I noticed a small bump on Embrie's leg. It looked like a mosquito bite and I made a mental note to pay attention to it. The next day it definitely wasn't any better. I pointed it out to Buck and he had noticed it to. By that night it was no longer so much a bump, it had spread out and started to look like a rash. Buck and I looked at it and decided to check it in the morning. The next morning, I was looking at Embrie's leg and Hyat comes over and asks what I am looking at. I tell him I am looking at a rash on Embrie's leg. He peers at it for a second and asks, "Is that from Embrie's shots?"

DUH!

Seven to 10 days earlier Embrie had her one year appointment at which she got various vaccinations including the vaccination for chicken pox. (I know people have strong feelings about vacinations, but we have done a healthy amount of research and worked with our doctor to determine what course of vaccinations we are going to do and when). Seven to 10 days ago Buck and I sat in our doctor's office (without Hyat) and had a discussion about the vaccinations she was getting. Seven to 10 days ago, while at that doctor's appointment the doctor and the nurse told us probably at least 15 times, that in 7-10 days Embrie might have a bump or a small rash on her leg as result of the chicken pox vaccine. Despite being told at least 15 times that in 7-10 days this might happen, neither Buck or I put 2 and 2 together. However, Hyat, having only seen Embrie's band-aid as a result of the shots, was able to make the connection. More than anything I am thankful that Hyat managed to diagnose Embrie's rash because it saved me from a rather embarrassing phone call to the doctor's office in which they reminded me that 7-10 days ago they told me at least 15 times that this is exactly what might happen.

So anyone want to pay for Hyat's medical school - I think he's ready!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

That made me laugh about 15 times!