Monday Buck and I took the day off of work, loaded up the kids and headed to Yellowstone National Park with my parents and Cindy and Jacob. We headed in through West Yellowstone and were quickly reminded what visiting the Park during the summer was like. Buck and I picked the wrong lane to head into the Park and had to wait for a very long time to get through. I think the hardest part was telling Hyat over and over and over again why we were stopped and/or moving beyond slow!
After we got in, we were off to see the sights. First stop was Firehole falls. The kids had both dozed off, so we just made a quick stop and let them nap in the car. This fall was smaller, but it was amazing because we could see fish jumping trying to get up the falls!
After Firehole Falls we headed over to see Old Faithful. We got there about half an hour before she was going to blow, so we stuck it out and waited. Buck and I were there last in May of 2008. It was a much mellower time with a fraction of the people. I think next time we will check out one of the other geysers for something different and maybe a little bit off the beaten path. I am learning I don't do crowds and waiting as well since I have had kids. Who am I kidding, I have never done crowds and waiting well. Hyat did enjoy the geyser. He amazed a number of people around us as he talked about the steam and how water was going to shoot out of the ground.
Buck and Embrie waiting at Old Faithful...
After Old Faithful it was lunchtime so we found a picnic area and had lunch. Buck and I had gotten our permits to fish in the park while we were waiting for Old Faithful, but unfortunately, there was no fishing near our lunch spot!
Buck and Embrie waiting at Old Faithful...
After Old Faithful it was lunchtime so we found a picnic area and had lunch. Buck and I had gotten our permits to fish in the park while we were waiting for Old Faithful, but unfortunately, there was no fishing near our lunch spot!
As we headed on through the Park we drove around Yellowstone Lake. It was gorgeous and I forget how large it is!
After Yellowstone Lake we had planned to stop at the mud volcanoes, but my parents and Cindy and Jacob didn't stop... I am still not sure why not, but probably a time issue. Then as we are cruising along we discover that traffic has come to a stand still and there is a very long line of cars. After a lengthy period of time we discover that there are bison in the road and traffic is having a difficult time getting around them. This is a combination of people gawking and not just driving, people being scared to drive their cars remotely close to the bison, and the bison being ornery. It took us nearly an hour and half to drive a mile. Don't get me wrong it was fun to see the bison up close and personal. It was also fun to hear them grunt as the bulls chased the cows. But it was not fun to be stuck in the car that long! Drive people!






After FINALLY getting through the bison sighting zone, we headed to the Lower Yellowstone Falls for a short hike to stretch our legs. It was nice to get out and do some walking and some seeing.
The Lower Yellowstone Falls:
Hyat hanging with dad and checking the views... He loved looking down at the water.

A family picture (the only one we are all looking in the direction of the camera):

A family picture (the only one we are all looking in the direction of the camera):
Cindy and Dad:

The Falls!

The nature of the Park in the summertime is busy... We spent A LOT of time in the car, including half an hour in road construction as we were trying to leave to get dinner. We let Hyat entertain himself with the camera for awhile and got shots like these.

The Falls!
The nature of the Park in the summertime is busy... We spent A LOT of time in the car, including half an hour in road construction as we were trying to leave to get dinner. We let Hyat entertain himself with the camera for awhile and got shots like these.

All in all, it was a good day and we got to see some beautiful stuff. We are fortunate to have Yellowstone so close. I will admit I like it a little better in the off-season - it stresses me out less. I think the next time we go we definitely hit the a geyser basin and the mud volcanoes to see something different. Actually, I bet the next we go we spend our time chasing fish - who am I kidding.







No comments:
Post a Comment